It is the end of school, start of summer. Riley finished the school year and her preschool class put on a small performance for the parents. Afterwards there were refreshments and visiting with friends one last time before school let out. They wore shirts they tie-died themselves.
Riley and her teacher, Ms. Jana.
With Ms. Kelli, her speech therapist.
Notice her "Thank you very much" bow at the end.
Afterwards, most of the kids, scratch that. All of the kids then went home from school with their parents...except Riley. 
She refused to come home with us and demanded to go on the bus. So she did. And was the only kid on the bus. We were amused and hopefully the bus driver and aide were too. They could have had a REALLY long lunch if they did not have to take five minutes and drive her home.
What a kid.
Caleb also had a major transition.
His hair has gotten rather long. The back has not be cut, ever. It looked cute and more importantly in my mind he was still a baby with all that hair. I know the time for his first real haircut was coming but I was not ready to take that step and change my baby into a boy.
There is nothing wrong with boys, or girls for that matter. I just like my babies staying that way for as long a possible. It may be because it takes so long to get them I don't want to rush on to the next phase like toddler hood. (Which for all actuality we have been in for several months now.) Hence, my reluctance to cut his hair, even with Andy prodding me to get it done.
Unfortunately, he has a tendency, a habit rather, of twirling his hair on the back of his head and sucking his thumb. He does this to sooth himself when he is tired and after eating, every meal. So bath time is an important daily event to clean the goo out of the hair. Except now the hair is a bit longer and gets tangled easier. I woke up yesterday and while trying to brush Caleb's hair out a realized he was starting to sport a dread lock. Just one. Now I think the hair twirling is cute but the mono-dread is not. So I got his cereal to distract him and the squirt bottle, brush and scissors and went to work.First, I cut off the offending dread lock. All one inch of it. Then I starting hacking away bit by bit until I ended up with .... 
a boy.
5 comments:
You are right, Ing. He looks so much more "grown up" with his haircut.
So very cute Ingrid...it is kind of tough when you realize they are no longer the little baby!
Oh he looks too cute with that big boy look! I love it! And you did a really good job too.
Go Riley for finishing up a great year. I think that is hilarius that she insisted on riding the bus. She knows what she wants!
He he, Riley. She is too cute!
And, yes, I do like Dax's hair long, so I always hate cutting it. I never thought about it that way, regarding that hair on the end being his original baby hair. How precious.
You did a really good job cutting it (something I will never dare attempt!). Welcome to "boyhood" Caleb ;)
Isn't that amazing what a difference a haircut can make? He really does look all grown up. It's so bittersweet - you want your kids to grow up but at the same time you want them to stay little forever.
Post a Comment