Our lives have been very hectic lately. I have been working double and almost triple the normal hours I work, helping the City of Chandler Housing Division prepare for an audit by HUD (the FEDS.) It is a very big deal, hence their willingness to pay me what they do for as many hours as they did.
What about your house, you may be thinking to yourselves. You are not alone, as I think that too. I have help, not professionals mind you, but help none the less. Let me share with you a couple of the highlights.
As the loyal blog stalkers that you are, you know of the ongoing challenge of getting Riley to poop in the toilet. I am pleased to announce, hear ye, hear ye, that the pooping in the toilet thing is now becoming a daily occurrence without parent interference other than wiping. (Which is way better than changing a poopy pull-up.) Those that have experienced this before know that it can still get a little messy at times. I soon took advantage of the bathtub next to the toilet with it's six foot long hose and implemented the water blasting cleaning method. Soon this became a favorite of Riley's because as an Aquarius, she enjoys all things water. I feel I need to buy a house with a bidet for her comfort and cleanliness.
One day this last weekend, Riley calls out to me because she went "POOP," (still an event worth announcing to all the world.) I went in for the assist and she proceeded to point to the tub. After throwing her in there and adjusting the water to the optimum temperature I realized that the rest of her dinner was on the table. Now at most houses this is no be deal. However, we have Bubba, a 15 lb. Shih Tzu who feels that it is responsibility to clean our plates of everything remaining on them. (No, he doesn't believe in the dishwasher, or the good fairy for that matter.) He does not wait for an invitation, just for us to leave the room.
Here is the dilemma, do I leave Riley in the bathroom with the running shower hose in her hand while I run 25 feet to move her plate from the table to the Bubba free zone of the counter or do I let the dog get on the table again to scarf down whatever he could find? I realize that Riley did not eat much of her dinner and will subsequently get hungry later on. (She always does.) By removing her leftovers to the counter I ensure that she will eat all of her dinner, just not in one sitting. (When she comes to me later and says that she is hungry I tell her to finish her dinner. She knows she has to before she can have whatever she is asking for. By the time her plate is cleared at the second sitting she is either 1. too full for whatever she was asking for or 2. or if she is not there is no problem having something else because her dinner is finished. Either way it is win-win and I have avoided the EAT YOUR DINNER Battles.)
Thinking she is four, and can handle the instructions I give her consisting of, "Here, hold this in the tub so it doesn't spray all over while I go put your plate on the counter so Bubba doesn't get it. I will be right back." After all, how hard can this be? It will take only 30 seconds if not less, to dodge the obstacles in the family room, race into the kitchen around the island and dash to the table to grab the plate, move it to the counter and then follow the return route to the bathroom.
And then I was off, yelling at the dog, who was already on the chair.
Upon my return, I realized that I probably should have just turned the water off for 30 seconds.
30 seconds!!!!
Heck, you only need 10 seconds to douse the walls, mirrors and floor of the kids bathroom. You can also take out several rolls of toilet paper in the process if you have skills.
Riley has skills.
So needless to say, the kids bathroom is clean....
Sunday, Caleb helped out with the Spring Cleaning as well. After naps we were hanging out (Andy was at work) and playing in the living room. I proceeded into the kitchen to fix dinner because for some reason my kids think I should feed them on a daily basis. Make that at least thrice daily. Anyway, Caleb toddled his way into the family room because as a toddler that is what he does. He has skills too.
While my back was turned to him as I was toiling away at the stove and talking to my parental units on the phone, my boy genius, (and I am not being sarcastic here) figured out how to remove his diaper, speedily and stealthily. He then toddled into the kitchen where I turned to see him
pee
all
over
my
floor.
He thought nothing of it... He was rather pleased that he walked all the way from the family room to the kitchen without falling while hungry at the same time.
Kitchen floor done.
Did I mention that Bubba got sick under the piano as we got home from church earlier that day as well?
Twice.
Under the piano clean.
What will we get clean this week???
I am not sure I want to know.
6 comments:
Ingrid. You are the greatest. And so happy that constipation is mostly done! Trace gets tubes on Thursday. How did it go for Riley?
Oh, it was not constipation. It was flat out refusal to poop in the toilet. We still have some minor set backs but I can bribe her into cooperating since she now knows that it is not a bad thing. I have to laugh because she is always so excited when she is done.
The tubes went ok. She says that she can't hear in one ear so I will have her hearing checked when I take her in for a follow up this week. Hopefully, it is just residual from her surgery and that there is no hearing loss. Good luck with Trace. Enjoy.
I have some floors that need cleaning? Please???
Oh boy... yeah, Buster made me clean the kitchen floor today. Not cool.
Dax loves to clean the floor around Buster's water almost on a daily basis, eh hem.
Good for Riley though!! What a "relief" on both parts ;)
That is the greatest blog...I was lauging the whole time just picturing it. Great job to Riley, and at least Spring Cleaning is uderway!!! :)
I miss your funniness Ingrid!! Cute post! Life with kids AND dogs...always an adventure.
Post a Comment